Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Honeymoon Part Uno

The beach bum lifestyle suits Brett & I very well.  I must admit, we had a tough time saying Adios! to Secrets Maroma Beach.  Hands down, best trip ever.  Our honeymoon was fabulous and one for the books.  Fortunately, our honeymoon began as soon as we shut the limo door after running through a tunnel of sparklers - we were off to the airport!  Our limo was appropriately decorated with Valentine's decor due to the impending holiday.  I'm a sucker for cutesy holiday decorations.  Our carriage was decked out with heart napkins & heart sticks (perhaps they were stirrers for drinks?).  After a quick pit stop dropping off our wedding attire, (I did not want to take my gown off - I felt too much like a princess!), we headed to the Grand Hyatt at DFW airport.



The hotel is located at Terminal D (for international flights) in the airport.  Lucky for us, the international terminal was where we needed to be Saturday morning.



After an escalator ride up, we checked in and I proudly announced we were just married mere hours before.  The congratulatory front desk agent sent us up champagne to continue celebrating.  Brett poured us some bubbly and we cheers-ed to the good life of newlywed bliss.




Our room was sleek and modern, with fancy electronic devices to control the window shades, the lights, and the music.  Another added bonus, we could see planes taking off from our window.  

  
Since I insist on being on time anywhere we go, we had to be there two hours in advance due to our international flight.  Although we only had to travel downstairs to cross through security, we did have a bit of a hiccup when we arrived.  We had so carefully packed one suitcase to check, plus two carry-ons, but we forgot to take into consideration the weight limit the airlines enforce when checking bags.  Rookie mistake.  We were at a whopping 63 pounds.  In my mind,  I thought you were charged by the number of pounds you went over.  Nope, I was wrong.  Over 50lbs?  American Airlines says "100 bucks, please".  Outrageous.  Fortunately, we had enough time to rearrange our suitcases.  Jeans, shoes, dresses and hair appliances (a girl's gotta have them, right?) were immediately shifted to the carry on luggage in hopes of shedding a few pounds.  Back in the line we went.  The moment of truth came....52 pounds ladies and gentlemen!!  The agent who was checking us in, let it slide and we were good to go!  We were headed to Mexico!!

Once we were settled into our seats on the plane, I started to flip through my US Weekly (guilty habit while traveling, I admit).  The usual safety spill came on the loudspeaker, then Brett started to nudge me when the pilot was talking.  The pilot was giving his piece of advice about marriage and then said "We would like to say congratulations to the newlyweds on the plane, Brett & Erin!!!"  We were shocked and laughing with excitement - it was pretty awesome and fun.  One of my dearest friends since Kindergarten, Blair, has a husband, Landon, who is an air traffic controller at DFW who decided to give us a little shout-out on the plane.  It was great.

After a 2 hour + flight, we had landed in Cancun.  After standing in the lengthy line at customs, we were officially in Mexico & looking for our ride to the resort.


While waiting, the 85 degree weather warmed us up after a chilly 30 degree wedding ceremony the night before.  We were in a van with another couple who was celebrating their honeymoon also.  We arrived at Secrets Maroma Beach (somewhere between Cancun & Playa del Carmen) in the late afternoon.  Immediately upon walking into the resort, we were greeted with champagne and a hearty "Welcome home!" from the concierge.  Why yes, I could get used to this being my home.  After our keys were handed to us, we were escorted to our home away from home for the week.  The celebration continued with more champagne awaiting the honeymooners.



A letter for Mr. & Mrs. Paulk!




Mr. & Mrs. Paulk celebrating on the balcony.


After a surprise upgrade, we were in a room that had a partial ocean view and was the second building from the beach.  We also overlooked the pool.



Our room also had an outdoor jacuzzi overlooking the resort - I could get used to this!  We had all the amenities we could hope for on our honeymoon - it was unreal.



We also had beautiful fresh flowers which lasted throughout the whole week.


Our door also had a honeymoon banner across the front.



   The hashbrown I had at the airport that morning had come & gone - it was time for some grub!  We made our way down to the Seaside grill for a quick bite.  We went and checked out the beach before it was too dark, it was simply perfect.  We enjoyed dessert in the CoCo Cafe and cocktails in the lobby listening to a singer serenade the crowd while the pianist played some tunes.  A great start to an unforgettable vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment