We arrived in Shannon on Thursday morning...still no luggage for Brett. There was no time to waste, and we were off to our next adventure...driving a car - in a foreign country - on the wrong side of the road - with the steering wheel on the right side. I was petrified thrilled to try something new and see the Irish countryside. After a 2 minute tutorial on how to drive on the opposite side from a man with a heavy Irish accent, we were ready. First stop, snacks of course. Surprisingly, they had Dr. Pepper, which was a friendly reminder of home. While we were driving down the road, we came upon many roundabouts. We had to drive on the opposite way...very strange, I kept reminding Brett that we need to stay on the LEFT side of the road. I may have said this more for my comfort/sanity.
Armed with an old school map (the paper kind) and no GPS or phone service we were off to the Cliffs of Moher.
At an impressive 700 feet above the Atlantic Ocean, the Cliffs of Moher is a breathtaking natural wonder that is unlike anything I have ever seen before.
A castle overlooked the ocean while a harpist filled in with music against the backdrop.
On the majority of the trail along the tip top of the cliff, there were no railings. I preferred to stay closer to the inland while Brett had no fear standing on the edge for a photo op. After a quick lunch, we were back in our car and headed south towards our next destination: Dingle. The majority of the roads we traveled were rural and extremely narrow. At one point, we had to hop on a thirty minute ferry ride. Several hours and quaint towns later, we had arrived on the Dingle peninsula. One of my favorite parts about Ireland were all the hydrangeas. Oh my, if only I could fill our backyard with these...I would be one happy girl.
Before the trip, our original B & B claimed they did not have a reservation for us. So last minute, we booked here at Clonmara B & B and it turned out to be one of my favorite places we stayed. It overlooked the Dingle Bay and the town of Dingle and was only a ten minute walk to the heart of downtown.
That night we ventured into town for a pint and a bite to eat. We had an early wake up call so we called it a night fairly early. On our walk back we enjoyed the sun setting (around 9:30 p.m.!) and captured this moment which is one of my favorite times we spent together on our trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment